WINTER STORM WARNING

 

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Southward Track - No Significant Snow Expected

The southward track of the storm seems to be verifying and radar trends (and, frankly, the sky appearance) are not favorable for significant snowfall here in the DC area.  I think some snow will fall, maybe a coating here and there on grassy surfaces - but nothing memorable.

This is another case of a storm which looked like nothing a few days ago, looked like something significant for two model runs yesterday and then beginning yesterday evening, started to look like nothing again.  Inconsistencies in model runs like that within 24-36 hours of the start of the storm can cause forecasting havoc.  This one sure did.  When I stopped looking last night, the NWS was still forecasting 3-5 inches for the Fairfax area.

We're now 2 years into our snow drought.  Cold air returns for the beginning to middle of next week but very little moisture will be passing by.  I think there's a chance of snow showers on Inauguration Day but apart from that, looks like we'll have to wait a little longer for significant snow.

1 comment: