WINTER STORM WARNING

 

Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Miss After All

This has been one of the most difficult storms to forecast that I can remember. As meteorologists, I think this serves as a reminder that even in this age of advanced technology: powerful computers, advanced radar - the atmospheric system is incredibly complex. Sometimes these kinds of weather patterns are going to occur and there isn't a hell of a lot we can do but make a good guess.

Forecasts are still all over the place but just as I was typing this, the National Weather Service dropped the Winter Storm Warning for the immediate DC area and reduced our snow forecast to around an inch. Further east there's still a chance for more significant snow but the real show will be from Philadelphia northward along I-95 to Boston and beyond. Up in New England they will have the chance for more than a foot.

Here - some light snow I think. Short-term models haven't given up on the idea of some snow falling but it doesn't look like it will amount to much.

What a crazy ride it's been with this storm.

1 comment:

  1. Potential explanation for why La Nina is not having the same effect in the east this year?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/opinion/26cohen.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=global%20warming&st=cse

    ReplyDelete