WINTER STORM WARNING

 

Friday, February 5, 2010

All Continues on Schedule and Track

The evening update from Arlington, VA at 7 PM, I have 3.5 inches on the ground.

Snow is falling heavily but hasn't yet reached maximum intensity.  I expect 18-20 inches to fall overnight, so snowfall rates of up to 3 inches per hour will be possible later this evening.

Storm track is as expected and we're down to looking at small-scale features like the "banding" I described in a previous post.  We're entering a bunch of small scale situations that are very favorable for heavy snow.  Some of these processes are the same as those you get during thunderstorms in the Spring and Summer.  For this reason, thundersnow is possible later tonight - something I find very exciting.  I've only seen it once in my lifetime.

Post your observations in the comments!  It's good to know how much everybody has seen.  And especially let me know if you have seen any lightning or heard any thunder.

And share your photos!

Enjoy the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive