WINTER STORM WARNING

 

Monday, February 1, 2010

A Little Background

First, about me.  It's my blog, therefore it's always about me, right?

I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a Bachelor's Degree in Meteorology way the hell back in the mid-90's.

I did not then want, nor have I ever wanted, to be a TV meteorologist.  I've got nothing against them - I just never wanted some program director to tell me my sun graphics had to have smiling faces with sunglasses and my wind graphics had to have a blowing cloud.



One of my goals was to work for the National Weather Service.  But when the government suggested I could go forecast weather in Point Barrow, Alaska , I politely declined and went to work for the parent Agency, NOAA, instead.  No forecasting, but I got to do satellite meteorology.

And, along the way, I learned about designing websites.  So I built one for the program I started at NOAA.

12 years later, the freaking thing is still there.  Same one I designed and built.  They still use it.  Gotta love the government.

I eventually left for the big bucks of web development in the 90's.  Then the bubble burst, then one of my clients hired me and now, 6 years later:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive