WINTER STORM WARNING

 

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Light Snow Has Started, Storm is Forming

Reports of some intermittent light snow across the area, mixed with a bit of sleet to the south, as expected.

The map below is a plot of how many millibars the barometric pressure has changed in the last 3 hours.  You can use this plot to see that in the southern states, the pressures are rising - indicating that storminess is moving out of that area.

You can also see that in the Great Lakes region, pressures are falling.  That's the initial area of low pressure that is transferring its energy to the real storm which will be forming off the coast of the Carolinas.  Evidence of the storm forming can be seen in this chart.  Notice that the pressure is falling, quite rapidly, just off the coast.






I still think the NWS is on the high side of the forecast amounts.  Their amended afternoon forecast is 10-14 inches.  I'll stick with 8-12 here around Washington, more to the north and east, less to the south.  We'll see how things go once the storm gets going later tonight.

The radar is filling in and snow should become fairly steady in the next few hours.

There is the chance that the snow will mix with sleet even as far north as Washington, DC - but I expect it to be more of an issue to the south of town.

Evening models coming in now.  I'll let you know what I see.

3 comments:

  1. Fernando, So reassuring to have our own forecasterwhen we are away from home and worried about leaving the place unattended. Hunter and I are very grateful readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks Leslie! Did you and Hunter make it to Maine? Storm is headed your way but not sure it will be a big one for that area. Depends where in the state you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we made it to Maine in one day. The ski areas here are in envy of our snow ... but we are glad to report that Sunday River has a wonderful snow making operation and we are very pleased with the conditions. We are too far north to benefit from this one I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive